What is abuse?
It’s not always clear that abuse is happening and it’s easy to pretend it isn’t by concentrating just on the ‘good’ aspects of a relationship. We thought it would be good to ask some direct questions about relationships to see if things are going wrong.
Here are some of our ideas about the questions you can ask yourself to work out whether abuse is happening:
- Does your partner go through your phone contacts?
- Do they constantly want to know who you are calling?
- Does your partner read your messages?
- Are they always checking up on you?
- Does your partner want to know exactly what you are doing, when and at what time?
- Do you argue a lot?
- If so is this arguing a) violent? b) abusive? c) normal?
- Does your partner try to make your decisions for you?
- Does your partner try to make decisions about your children?
IS THIS ABUSE?